Problems with your Sky Digibox? Here we've collected some of the most frequently asked questions and their solutions. If you can't find your problem here or solve your problem please contact us.
Sky digibox with Freeview card - asking for new card.
Sky Viewing card upgrade and change over
Sky are upgrading all of their viewing cards this year and you may be getting on-screen messages.
If your Sky digibox has a Freeview card and is frequently displaying a message regarding a 'New Card' you need to unplug your Sky Digibox from the mains, remove the Sky Freeview Card, re-power your digibox and by doing so you will have reset your Sky digibox. You will also have lost channel 5 - the solution to loosing channel 5 is listed further down this page.
Many people purchased a Sky Freeview card because at the time of purchase a Freeview card was needed to view ITV, channel 4 and channel 5, these channels no longer require a Sky Freeview card as the channels are now Free To Air.
In some cases, Sky will send you a replacement Freesat Sky Viewing Card free of charge to a UK address.
To check whether your Sky viewing card is eligible for replacement click here . If your card is eligible, just complete the online form with your UK address details and Sky will send the card to the address given. If your card is NOT eligible for a free replacement, you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a new one for £20. Or simply follow the steps above to see all of the channels that are 'Free to air', now including ITV, Channel 4 and 5.
If you have a Sky Subscription then Sky will automatically send out a new card to the UK address at which the viewing card is registered.
Sky DO NOT supply Sky Viewing Cards to non-UK addresses !!!
Channel 5 Missing on Sky Digibox
Channel 5 frequencies have changed recently, and some Sky users who have Freesat viewing cards, may have found that they now get the message "NO SATELLITE SIGNAL". If this is the case, unplug the digibox from the mains, wait 2 minutes then re-plug, everything should be back to normal.
If you don’t have a viewing card you can select Channel 5 by doing the following:
- Press SERVICES on your remote control
- Select 4 SYSTEM SET UP
- Select 4 ADD CHANNELS
- Change the frequency to 10.773
- Change the POLARISATION from V to H
- Change the SYMBOL RATE to 22.0
- Change the FEC to 5/6
- then select FIND CHANNELS
When the new channels are found, highlight FIVE, press the Yellow button then press the SKY button
To watch channel 5, select SERVICES, then 6 OTHER CHANNELS then select FIVE
Why does my Sky digibox box keep switching off?
If your Sky digibox goes into standby during the night, it's because Sky have introduced a new energy saving system which will automatically put your digibox into standyby mode.
To override and turn this setting off do the following:
- Press the SERVICES button on your Sky remote control
- Select Option 5 from the on screen menu
- Swap the "ON" to "OFF" on screen.
- Highlight "SAVE SETTINGS" and press SELECT on your Sky remote control.
- Finally press the SKY button to resume normal viewing of Sky television.
This energy saving system which has been designed by Sky is to save electricity and do it's bit to save the planet. It opperates on standard Sky boxes, Sky+ and Sky HD. Not only does it save power for the planet but it also gives your Sky box a longer lifespan - for all models with cooling fans fitted.
How to reset my Sky digibox or download new software.
Actions to take to attempt to restart your Sky digibox:
- Unplug your Sky box from the mains.
- Take your Sky viewing card out of the machine.
- Leave for a minimum of 1 minute.
- Locate the 'Backup' button on the fron of your Sky box,
- Hold the 'Backup' button down, do not let go and at the same time reconnect the mains power.
- Keep the 'Backup' button pressed down for around 10-20 seconds until... 4 lights appear on the front of the digibox. If the TV is connected, on the screen should appear 'Downloading New Software This May Take Upto 10 Minutes'
- You can now release the 'Backup' button and DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER while downloading the software update.
- When all lights go out on the front of the digibox and the message goes from your TV screen, leave alone for 5 minutes,
- Switch your digibox on in the normal way.
- You have now completed a software restore to your Sky digibox.
IT IS MOST IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT LET GO OF THE BACKUP BUTTON WHILE CONNECTING BACK TO THE MAINS!
I hope you find this information helpful. If you still have problems with your Sky digibox, then please do not hesitate to contact me.